See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
I vividly remember when I was young asking my mom, “Is there ever a Sunday where we don’t have church?” I think I was growing weary of having to get all dressed up! She looked at me and replied, “No, that’s one great thing about the church! Every Sunday we can go see the people we love and learn about the God that loves us.”
I remember furrowing my eyebrows and saying, “What if the church caught on fire?” My mom laughed and said, “Even if the building were to burn down, the church would still meet. Maybe we would rent a tent and have service in the parking lot. Maybe we would meet in another building. We would find a way.”
Fast forward 25+ years, and never in my wildest imagination would church not only be closed, but closed for this long of a period. However, we continue to find ways to meet. Whether it is a women’s small group, The Gathering for young adults, Crossings staff teams, those in prisons across the state of Oklahoma, people in dire need of medical attention and prayer… we are not only finding ways to continue to meet, we are creating ways:
- Over 119 guests are new to Crossings worship services since March 19, 2020.
- There are now 16 new Crossings Online services!
- 22 new prisons joined our Crossings Prison Campuses.
- There have been countless new interactions through our social media platforms, with new Facebook groups, Crossings Students holding Instagram Live worship on Wednesday nights, and people tagging their families at home taking communion and worshiping.
- We’ve implemented a new Crossings KIDS on-demand media page!
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. -Isaiah 43:19
Not only is God doing something new in this church family, I am certain he is doing something new in you. What is it? Right now, slow down, take a few deep breaths, drown out the noise, and ask God what new thing he wants to do in and through you. Is it…
- Developing an intentional prayer life?
- Starting or picking up a new habit or discipline that glorifies him?
- Taking the next step in your faith journey? Serving? Connecting to a group? Being baptized?
- Talking to a LifeCare counselor?
- Forgiving a family member?
- Carving out time during the day to be still and silent?
I boldly approach you and ask you to show me the work you are doing in me and through me. A lot of the time, my pace doesn’t allow me to see, feel, and know what you are working on in my heart, in my mind, in my soul. Sometimes the “new” is hard. It’s uncomfortable. It’s not what I thought. Other times, new is fun and exciting. Whatever you have for me, I thank you for the strength you have given me to obey you and your Word.
Amen, so be it.
Pastor of Connections and Guest Services
Don’t hesitate to email Blake about taking your next step of faith at Crossings! He would love to hear from you.
Looking for weekly encouragement? Sign up to receive each devotion via email or opt into notifications for the group “Devotions” in the Crossings App! You can also check out previous devotions at crossings.church/devotions.